Foreign Corruption & Bribery
Our firm has been retained to represent corporations, senior officers, and board members in some of the highest-profile government investigations of foreign bribery and corruption. We bring this experience to bear to help our clients efficiently investigate and identify potentially corrupt business practices, design and implement effective compliance programs, and mitigate the potentially devastating consequences of a government enforcement action. Moreover, given our firm’s experience in securities law, we can also help our clients evaluate their potential disclosure obligations to shareholders, creditors and other stakeholders when a credible allegation of bribery or corruptions is raised in a corporate setting. Finally, because our firm has handled several matters involving intense media scrutiny by national news outlets, we can assist our clients in crafting strategic responses to media inquiries and in managing the impact of negative media coverage.
Sophisticated FCPA Compliance Programs and Defense Strategies
Stumphauzer & Sloman believes in taking a proactive approach to avoid potential legal problems and issues under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Our team works with clients across the U.S. and abroad to design innovative and effective FCPA compliance programs. We take the time necessary to understand how you manage and operate your company so we can develop a program that supports your compliance efforts and your important business objectives.
When a client is dealing with an inquiry or investigation for an alleged violation of the FCPA, our lawyers take immediate action to develop a coordinated defense plan. Our firm understands the complexities and increased risks that can arise when you face both civil and criminal enforcement actions. We know what steps to take to mitigate the issues and protect you throughout the course of simultaneous civil and criminal proceedings.
Representative Foreign Corruption and Bribery Matters
Our team has handled some of the highest-profile corruption cases, including:
- Representing a management level employee of a global retailer in connection with an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, and foreign law enforcement authorities into possible violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Represented key witnesses in the Department of Justice’s wide-ranging investigation of alleged bribery and corruption involving various soccer federations around the globe, including FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) and the CFU (Caribbean Football Union).
- Represented a Chinese business executive in a matter involving allegations that a U.S. publicly-traded company violated the FCPA by paying bribes to Chinese government officials to secure contracts for large municipal projects.
- Retained to represent an independent director and chairman of the audit committee of a large Chinese petrochemical company with exchange-traded securities to advise him in the defense of a government investigation of potential violations of the FCPA.
- Retained to represent an international audit firm in connection with a noisy withdrawal from an audit engagement with a U.S. public company following discovery of transactions that may have violated the FCPA.